Books Available Through The Jefferson County Historical Association
Historic Birmingham and Jefferson County, An Illustrated History
—by James R. Bennett, Historical Publications Network, San Antonio,TX
Second Edition, September 2010, original Pub. Date: April 2008, hardback. 232 pgs; numerous rare photographs.
The first new history on Birmingham and Jefferson County in 25 years, this volume sold out its first edition in six months. Written by former Alabama Secretary of State Jim Bennett, the book chronicles the area’s rich history from the days of the earliest settlers through the remarkable development of the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Price: $30 (hardcover)
The History of Jefferson County Before 1850
—by Will F. Franke, edited by Thomas M. West, Jr.
Written by Will F. Franke to coincide with the dedication of the new Jefferson County courthouse in Birmingham in 1950, this is a rare view of early local history which has been locked away for years. Franke, son of a pioneer Jefferson County family, possessed vast knowledge, energy and boundless curiosity. His work was placed in the new courthouse’s time capsule and was only recently revealed through location of a copy through efforts of the Jefferson County Historical Society.
Price: $33 (hardcover)
Pizitz Genesis of a Retail Giant
—by James R. Bennett, Bookends, 2013, Atlanta, GA
Pizitz: Genesis of a Retail Giant is a coffee table treasure that is actually three books in one: the story of the business that at one time was Alabama's largest retailer; the legacy of an amazingly generous family that is continually giving and still growing in success; and the history of Birmingham in words and images.
Price: $30 (hardcover)
Other Source Publications co-sponsored by the JCHA:
- Tannehill and the Growth of the Alabama Iron Industry — James R. Bennett, Alabama Historic Ironworks Commission, 1999, available at www.tannehill.org
- The Valley and the Hills, an Illustrated History of Birmingham and Jefferson County — Leah Rawls Atkins, Windsor Publications, 1981, available at the Birmingham Public Library Southern History Department, http://www.bplonline.org/resources/genealogy/doc/RegionalBooks.pdf
Out of Print Publications not currently available sponsored or
co-sponsored by the JCHA:
- Old Tannehill, a History of the Pioneer Ironworks in Roupes Valley (1829-1865) — James R. Bennett, Jefferson County Historical Commission, 1986.
- Arlington Reminiscences — Catheriene M. Lackmond, Jefferson County Historical Commission, 1985.
- Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Alabama — Carolyn G. Satterfield, Jefferson County Historical Commission, 1976.
- Birmingham’s Half Century, J. Morgan Smith, pamphlet — Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society, 1975.
- Crestline, a Timeless Neighborhood — Helen Pitman Snell, Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society, 1990.